Looking @ 10 Ways to Promote Your School Library

Looking @ 10 Ways to Promote Your School Library - There are lots of ways to promote your school library to students, teachers, administration, parents, and the community. Here are 10 informal ways to advocate for your school library program. #schoollibrary #libraryadvocacy #librarypromotion #librarypublicrelations #librarywebsiteSchool Librarians are often told to promote their school library program, to push its visibility within the school and district, and out into the community. There are plenty of materials available for library advocacy—from simple activities or events to entire pre-made “programming kits.” However, after 13+ years as a middle school librarian, I find what’s most effective are those informal ways we advocate for our school library program, so when a grad student in a library program asked about library advocacy a few years ago, I gave these responses to the questions:

1. What challenges do you face regarding your role as a school librarian?
    The biggest challenge is getting teachers & administrators to realize that, as a librarian, I am supposed to teach students those information literacy skills so necessary for high school, college, and our changing society. It is especially difficult since our district had no written library curriculum—library skills are embedded into course curricula without specifying them as library skills.
    linebreak
  2. What are the biggest barriers you face when advocating for your library?
    I find the two biggest barriers are others’ lack of understanding about what a school librarian is trained to do, and the lack of appreciation that increased access to information on the Internet does not minimize the role of the school librarian, but rather increases our impact on students.
    linebreak
  3. What is the best way for parents to support you and become library advocates?
    Getting parental support at the very start of the year is essential. Our students always have a packet of paperwork to take home on the first day of school—informational documents, some for parents to sign & return. I was originally able to include a single sheet in this packet—on one side I gave a 3-short-paragraph introduction of myself and the library, on the other was an annotated list of online resources available to students from home. Later, our district library coordinator began to provide a brochure about library services and a bookmark of online resources (w/ IDs & PWs) which I include.
    linebreak
    A couple times a year I had a Library Newsletter copied on the back of student report cards. This was helpful to keep parents aware of activities in the library. Throughout the year I exert myself to make phone calls to parents giving positive feedback about a particularly memorable thing a student did in the library, especially those students who often get negative calls home about their kid. These positive contacts help me be a visible and valuable member of the school faculty, and also make a world of difference when it’s time to get overdue books returned at the end of each semester!
    linebreak
  4. What is your best advice concerning advocacy and school library stakeholders?
    image of library website - my BroncoNET homepageMy best advice is to become indispensable in ways beyond the library so folks realize you do more than checkout & shelve books. Be a technology troubleshooter and trainer for a variety of technology applications for the classroom, volunteer to take photos or to videotape student presentation activities in the classroom, make the library website a valuable part of the school’s web presence, and, very importantly, become good friends with, and do favors for, the ladies who run the school’s PTA! In other words, don’t advocate with speeches about the importance of a school library; advocate with actions to show the importance of having a certified school librarian!
    linebreak
  5. Who, if any, are your greatest advocates in your community?
    In the local school community it is definitely the principal and the PTA who can be our best advocates, and in the district, the library coordinator and the curriculum coordinator have a huge impact on how libraries and librarians are viewed. But the greatest advocate is the district Public Relations department—they control the public’s perception of the school district and if they are on your side, you are gold! They’ll post pictures of library activities, promote reading programs, and make sure everyone in the community, from parents to businesses, and administration to support staff, is aware of your importance. They can also be instrumental in publicizing fund-raising efforts!
    linebreak
  6. How do you get administration to see you as a vital part of education?
    Become part of the decision-making team at your school. Volunteer for any committee that will even remotely impact you, as school librarian, or the library program. Be especially essential to your subject department heads so any curriculum-planning activity includes you. Become best friends with your school secretaries & custodians so they view you as an essential member of their team, too. It’s amazing how often the phrase, “Let’s see what the school librarian has to say about this!” can direct your administration’s attention to how vital you are to the school and its mission.
    linebreak
  7. What are you doing to get students into your library?
    Make the library the place students need to go to get things done! I always have art materials available, like markers, poster board, scissors, tape, glue, etc, in convenient totes so students can come in before or after school to work on projects. I have a variety of games that are fun and yet also reinforce learning, such as Scrabble, Monopoly ($$ & math), and Trivial Pursuit. The current catch-phrase is “makerspace,” but my students have always associated the library with “making” what they need!
    linebreak
    I’ve created reading alcoves for those who want a quiet place to read when others are working at tables or on computers. (Students can converse as long as they used their 2-foot voices–a completely silent library is not conducive to student collaboration.) image of my Student Pass To LibraryI always have computers turned on, ready for students to use any time of day. To be always inviting, I create a personalized laminated pass for each teacher/classroom to fill out with a dry-erase marker allowing students to come to the library during class-time if they need a book, computer, whatever.
    linebreak
    Always let students help out. I let kids shelve books whenever they ask—the shelves might not be perfect, but it gets books back on the shelves and they feel good about helping. I ask for student input/help creating displays, whether on the bulletin boards or the shelves. Regarding bulletin boards, I have three 4’x4′ bulletin boards, one outside every doorway into the library and eye-catching displays inspire kids to come inside. I offer a “Tech Morning” once a week for kids to learn about new app or online service. Believe me, kids love to learn new technology, and when teachers see students asking about or using an app for a project, they become more interested too!
    linebreak
  8. How do you promote collaboration with the classroom teachers in your school?
    NoSweat Library Lesson Planner Template p1Teachers have enough on their plate without adding our stuff, so I don’t email lists of books or online resources to “add” to their lessons. Rather, I approach teachers well ahead of time with a written lesson plan for enhancing their classroom activities using a wide range of resources. This lets teachers see us as providing service and assistance, and shows them how easy it is to include us in the lesson planning experience. I make it a professional goal to be familiar with all subject curricula and how the library’s collection & other resources can be used. Doing this makes us the curriculum expert in the building and people begin to come to us for advice! (Download the lesson plan template from my FREE Librarian Resources page)
    linebreak
  9. In what ways are you a leader within your school?
    One year we got a new principal, and he set up interviews with staff members during the summer to get a feel for everything. One of the questions he asked each person was, “If the principal was suddenly gone for some reason, who are 3 people in the school who you could rely on to keep things running smoothly?” I was flattered that quite a few folks mentioned me, so I made it my goal that everyone would mention the school librarian in answer to that question! By keeping that broad concept in mind I was able to see more possibilities for involvement, rather than just listing disparate things I wanted to accomplish.
    linebreak
  10. What are some of the ways you raise money and/or resources for your library?
    I’m fortunate that my district supports the library program with substantial funds for books and online resources, so I don’t have to, as so many do, weasel money from a principal or try to raise funds on my own. However, I am adamant about one way a librarian NOT raise money: with fines for overdue books. They don’t work. Kids who are well-off don’t care about the paltry amount and poorer kids are stressed out trying to pay a fine and still have money for lunch (or dinner on their way home), and basically it just makes a lot more work for the librarian, especially if there’s a whole class trying to check out books in the last 10 minutes of the period! I mean really, it’s just a darn book and there’s plenty more on the shelves—a child and their feelings are a lot more important than a fine (or even a lost $15 book)! There are much more effective ways to tease kids into getting overdue books back.

The library student appreciated my input, and I hope some of you out there do also. Happy advocating!

line of books laying down - indicates end of blog article

Join my mailing list to get a brief email about new posts on library lessons & management . You'll also gain access to my exclusive e-List Library of FREE resources!