Looking @ Technology Training & Integration for Teachers

Looking @ Technology Training & Integration for Teachers - Of the barriers which inhibit effective use of technology in the classroom, the biggest is teachers who haven't learned to integrate it as part of their lessons. School Librarians are already adept at technology and integration, so we can provide multimedia technology training for our teachers. #NoSweatLibrary #schoollibrary #technologytrainingTechnology can bring creative enrichment to many educational activities, but it’s disappointing how rarely audio, video, and digital technologies are used to their fullest. Students need and deserve to learn a variety of ways to express themselves so they may be active participants in our global community.

The barriers which inhibit or restrict the effective use of technology in the classroom are from 3 sources: from teachers, from students, and from the technology itself.

BARRIERS TO EFFECTIVE USE OF TECHNOLOGY

Many tech-related problems have been solved as electronic hardware became more robust and affordable, and as digital products became standardized or accessible online. Multimedia technology is now available within most classrooms, and online access is widely available through the federal e-rate. Today we can find a tech solution for any educational need, many of them free.

Technology breakdowns are less frequent than in the past. School districts with older hardware or insufficient bandwidth for large-scale online use may still have issues; however, hardware, software, and online barriers are nowadays incidentally frustrating, rather than obstructive.

Many students still lack entry-level tech skills and/or equitable access to technology. The demand for tech-savvy graduates is pushing school districts to find solutions through grants, bonds, and corporate funding, and 1:1 initiatives are narrowing inequity. Keyboarding classes, once prolific, are now scarce, so incidental training during assignments is now the norm for students, and brings us to the biggest stumbling block to effective use of technology in the classroom.

Technology training for teachers has been a staple of professional development for decades, yet there remain huge gaps in tech proficiency among teachers. Even newer, younger teachers who we’d expect to have grown up using a wide variety of tech applications lack the skill and ability to effectively integrate technology into their classrooms. Clearly we still need to provide all teachers with time to pursue training in technology applications, but more importantly, we need to provide teachers with more focused training, enabling them to develop tech integration lessons for their students.

STAFF DEVELOPMENT FOR TECHNOLOGY

The typical manner of tech training for teachers is showing a whole group how to use a tool, expecting that they will effectively integrate it into student learning. While this method is cheap and easy, it isn’t the best way to do it: teachers merely add a shallow use of a tool to what they’re already doing—as in requiring final papers to be typed with a word processing tool yet still requiring a handwritten rough draft. Teachers need to see a different way of doing things—even as simple as using that word processing app from the start, then tracking changes when commenting, proofing, and editing within the tool itself, and doing so completely online.

Decades ago, Alan November said “the goal should be to train teachers not to master specific technologies, but instead to design learning environments in which technology helps children learn.” Yes, teachers don’t just need to learn how to use a tool, but to have an integrated model to take back to the classroom.

Bring together a small group of same-grade-level or same-discipline teachers and help them develop a carefully planned multimedia lesson or unit that incorporates tools with curriculum standards and objectives. Even a teacher with rudimentary tech skills can do this for more meaningful student learning, and creative teachers will supplement and enhance the unit for a truly memorable student experience. These tech-integration trained teachers then become facilitators for others in their schools, and more teachers become familiar with, and adept at, planning units to fully integrate multimedia into classroom experiences.

A PROCESS-BASED APPROACH TO TECH TRAINING

One of the most effective technology training paradigms I’ve found is the online Cult of Pedagogy JumpStart course.

JumpStart is a self-paced online technology course for the thoughtful educator. By guiding you through a series of hands-on projects, this course will give you the confidence and skills you need to make smart choices about the tech you use in your teaching.

What’s unusual about this tech training course is that it doesn’t look at “tools”, but rather at processes, specific ways of using technology that can be applied in a variety of classroom situations. You learn 10 key processes and complete a hands-on project to practice that process with one tool. You’ll can transfer that process to your own classroom, using the same tool or a similar one of your choosing. Here are the 10 processes:JumpStart Your Technology Training for Teachers - School Librarians can help teachers integrate technology into their lessons by providing customized multimedia technology training or encouraging enrollment in Cult of Pedagogy's JumpStart online course. #NoSweatLibrary #schoollibrary #technologytraining #CultofPedagogyJumpStart

1. Blogging
  2. Online Collaboration
  3. Mind Mapping
  4. Curation
  5. Screencasting
  6. Flipped Learning
  7. Digital Assessment
  8. HyperDocs (playlists)
  9. QR codes
  10. Podcasting

The JumpStart course offers 2 options: Basic, where you take the course on your own, at whatever pace works for you; and Plus, where you get the support and accountability of a community. The JumpStart Plus course is only open for enrollment five times a year, and enrollment for the July 2019 training is open June 23-July 3. (There is also an October 2019 training with enrollment from September 22-29.)

I was in one of the early JumpStartPlus groups, and though I consider myself technologically adept, I learned more than I could have imagined: not only processes and tools, but a completely new vision for how to help students learn technology within a flowing pattern of applied multimedia techniques. I heartily recommend the Cult of Pedagogy JumpStart course for teachers at any tech level, novice to expert.

(I am Cult of Pedagogy’s Pinterest Marketing Specialist,
but I receive no compensation for this
 JumpStart endorsement.)

THE ROLE OF SCHOOL LIBRARIANS IN TECH TRAINING

As a School Librarian we can offer a variety of technology training opportunities to teachers, from new ways to use a common tool to full-length design-based integrated technology units. We need to treat professional development for teachers with the same consideration and planning we give to student lessons. I use my Library Lesson Planner for technology professional development so I stay focused on just what teachers need—nothing more, nothing less.

Here are 3 ways to offer technology PD to teachers:

• Short faculty meeting presentations
    These are 5-10 minute show-and-tells which demonstrate a new facet of a tool teachers are already using. It’s important to make this use part of standard classroom activity so teachers can immediately put it to use, rather than figure out on their own how to incorporate it.
    linebreak
  • Topical training before/after school or during common subject planning
    Many teachers are willing to come into the School Library before or after school for 20-30 minute tech sessions. These, too, need to be designed as time-savers or enhancements to already-in-use systems so teachers can take them back to the classroom and apply them right away. Some topics I offered my teachers were webpage training, using our email app for lesson scheduling and time management, student blogging and discussion forums, and creating videos from slide presentations.
    linebreak
    Another option is to offer a series of training sessions during common subject planning periods. For example, I created weekly presentations about how to integrate Design Thinking and Technology into lesson units. I provided a pocket folder with brads to hold guided worksheets that teachers used during the various sessions and then kept for reference. I included suggested projects for various subjects, and created a narrated version of the presentations so teachers who were absent or future new teachers could view them. I received several teacher requests to further help integrate technology into a lesson!
    linebreak
  • Extended rotating workshops during beginning-of-school-year staff development
    Teachers become “students” and spend 45-50 minutes each at 2-3 hands-on stations working through a classroom lesson using new technology tools. This model requires the most planning, strong support from administration, and a cadre of trained colleagues to assist the teacher-students. One year I designed a series of WebQuests using library online subscription databases for informational projects teachers assigned during the school year. My Library Lesson Matrix was invaluable to customize the WebQuests for each subject, which were so successful that teachers had me schedule those same WebQuests with their students!

EXPANDING OUR LEADERSHIP ROLE

It’s no longer enough for School Librarians to promote reading and give lessons on research skills. We need to learn, use, and then integrate multimedia technologies into student learning, and teach our teachers how to do it. We are the best person on our campus to do this: we are the only one familiar with all subject curricula and we are already skilled at integrating into classroom activities. Make it a goal this school year to provide some tech training for your teachers!

line of books laying down - indicates end of blog article

Join my mailing list to get immediate notice of fresh content: engaging lesson ideas, NoSweat school library management, and ways to inspire students to read. You will also gain exclusive access to my e-List Library of free resources.